Thursday, June 04, 2009

Food Connoisseur

I love cooking and baking, which is very strange. When I was growing up, I wasn’t interested at all, my dad was a good cook, so is my sister and my mom is very good at cooking the dishes I love so there weren’t many opportunities for me to explore the fun of cooking.

However, I was always busy baking cookies before Chinese New Year, mom would distribute the cookies as gifts to relatives and friends. My love for baking faded slowly because it became boring as there weren’t many resources around me and I was still young.

Matt is not a ‘food’ person, he is happy with the simplest meal but he must have his meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner. He is not good at cooking, or you can say he can’t cook, but he doesn’t enjoy cooking after all so how can I expect him knowing how to cook?

Thanks to his ‘non-existence’ cooking skills, I can cook all the time!!!!

Since we moved in together, I really had fun cooking all the things I have been wanting to try and Matt is always a good guinea pig. Having said that, you can’t force him to eat anything that looks suspect….grr…

I also enjoy walking around supermarket, checking out ingredients and spices that are new to me.

After 6 months living together, Matt has slowly transformed to a food connoisseur! Last night, I made braised chicken drumstick, garlic broccoli, serve with rice. He always like the braised chicken, especially the gravy. Last night, he complained the chicken was tough and seem like the gravy did not penetrate into the meat! Yes, it was my fault. I did not take the chicken out from the freezer the night before and due to the cold weather, the chicken was not entirely thawed when I was preparing dinner. So I had to defrost it in the microwave and not wishing to starve the both of us, I did not cook the chicken as long as I wanted. Hence the gravy did not PENETRATE into the chicken…!

2 years ago, he would eat the uncooked pumpkin that I served! I told him not to eat, they were undercooked, he said “oh really?”…

What a transformation in 6 months….

No comments: