Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Building a house - Part 1 Settlement Agent

So I am going to build my first home. After all the drama and stress, my settlement agent rang me this afternoon and told me that my land is ready for settlement on next Tuesday.

When Matt bought the house that we are living in now, we were very stressed. We were stressed because we were inexpeienced and also due to him working away, we were stressed about making sure that he signs everything before hewent back to work.

Matt's settlement agent was bad, bad bad! I can't reveal her name here incase she (somehow) reads my blog and sue me for defamation. If you want to know whow is that, send me an email and we shall discuss further :p

She was unprofessional, slack and stupid! I had to hunt her down whenever I have query. Because Matt was working away, so he appointed me to act on behalf of him, hence I was the pointof contact. Towards the end, I decided to go and see the managing director of the company, but then we were in a hurry to move in (right before Xmas) so I didn't.

So now, for my land settlement, I had to look for a settlement agent. For overseas reader, when you buy a home and land package in Perth, you have to settle the land first so the builder can start building then you settle the house with the builder at the end.

This time, I asked the land broker to recommend an agent that she is familiar and happy to deal with. She recommended 3, one happened to be the company where Matt's settlement agent was. I told her what happened, she threw away the company card, yes it was another agent that she recommended but I simply do not trust the company at all now. So I picked 2 that she recommended and went for the cheaper quote.

My agent is a single mom who works from home. She is wonderful, switched on, fast and efficient! I haven't met her and my land is settling on Tuesday. She sent me paperwork without me asking for it and let me know exactly what will happen next and what I need to do next. She tells me everything and prepares me for what's going to happen. I would recommend her to anyone who is looking for a settlement agent.

1 comment:

angie said...

you should have asked me about settlement agents. i know a very good one! i also know a really good mortgage broker if you're interested.

i dont know if i've told you, but my parents bought a place in KL. the lawyer we used (i'm sure you know that in malaysia a real lawyer is used in place of a settlement agent?) was so stupid. my parents and i kept catching her out on things she said. the only reason we used the company was because my stepdad is good friends with the partner... but he assigned the work to someone else. once we had to call our family friend to tell our assigned case lawyer off cos she said building inspections weren't allowed! i would name the law firm, but then i'd feel bad cos we did end up getting quite a big discount from my family friend... lol