Sunday, October 14, 2007

I got some really bad news yesterday, my godmother's son is diagnosed with cancer. He is only 42 year-old with 3 young kids, the eldest is 12 and the youngest is not even schooling.

Lately, I came acrossed many incidents that taught me to treasure what I have and live like there is no tomorrow. To be honest, Asians (especially Chinese) are brought up to plan everything. Before we were born, our parents already thought of our name, who should be our godparents; after we were born, they plan which language should be our mother tongue, which kindy to go; then when we turned 4, which primary school should we attend, Malay or Chinese school; should we learn piano, painting; sports or tuition. Then when we finished primary school, we have to decide what do we want to do as career because you have to either pick science stream or art stream; in college, we had to pick to do either local uni program, Aust prog, British or USA prog. And the planning goes on......

Right now, people who are at the same age as me are planning about their future, such as marriage, housing, retirement. Most of them are thinking of how to save enough money so that they don't have to work and achieve financial freedom. And they are doing a tremendous job to move forward to their dreams.

For the people who told me 'to live like there is no tomorrow' are the people who hardly make ends meet, or people who do not have anything to guarantee their debt-free home and retirement.

Maybe you can argue by saying living like there is tomorrow can be applied on other things, such as relationship. But I also believe that you will be thinking things like 'I want to plan a trip together to improve our relationships', 'maybe we should start saving more so we can rent a better place to live together'; all these are plannings. Of course there are short term plannings and long term plannings

For me, I could never live like there is no tomorrow, because I believe if I live like that, there will definitely be no tomorrow that I wish to live.

No comments: